When attending a private session, please note the following guidelines:
- Please bring a pair of clean, white socks to change into before you enter the tea room.
- Feel free to dress comfortably for sitting on the floor. As a reference, skirts and slacks are preferred at proper tea ceremonies. Shorts, jeans, and clothing with lots of zippers, buttons, bangles, etc., that will abrade the tatami mats are discouraged. Bare feet are not permitted, as food and drinks are served directly on the floor.
- You will be asked to remove dangling jewelry, large rings, and bracelets before entering the room to avoid damage to delicate ceramics during handling.
- Please avoid strongly scented perfumes or colognes before entering.
- Stools or cushions can be provided for those who are unable to sit on the floor.
- Most Japanese sweets for accompanying matcha tea are made from sugar and red or white bean paste, but occasionally chestnut, sesame seeds, rice flour, and other ingredients are used. Please inform us of any food allergies before your visit.